Towns along the Silver Ring of Russia

Towns along the Silver Ring of Russia

The Leningrad town called Lodeynoye Pole that resides on the left bank of the Lake Ladoga basin (Svir River) is actually just about 240 kilometers away from Saint Petersburg. Literally, the name of this town in Russian means “the field of boats”. Historically, in the year 1702, Peter the Great set up the Olonets Shipyard here on the Mokrishvitsa village. It also became a sad place in the 1930s because it became a Soviet concentration camp Svirlag where church convicts as well as politica... [ read more ]